Although the first brick has yet to be knocked down or any visible sign of construction has begun, things are constantly happening in the construction of the new school. There are many hurdles to be cleared before actual brick-and-mortar is visible. Yesterday, one of many hurdles was cleared in getting planning commission approval to abandon some city-owned property needed in the construction of the school. This process now goes before the city council as yet another hurdle. The question was asked, “how should the tiger look that will grace the gym floor in the new facility? Although our tiger has always been maroon and white, Tarzan’s tigers were usually black and gold. Please give your feedback on how we want the tiger to look. I thought to include more colors in the overall scheme of the logo. Your thoughts?

FAIR ST.pdf

6 replies on “The New Fair Street School”

• John Harris
    November 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

John W.

• eebutler
      November 23, 2011 at 12:42 am

Jerry Lamar Castleberry Class of 1965

Thanks John. I plan to stay close to this project as it will be a focal point in the community. The system administrators have been absolutely great in including the community every step of the way. If anyone has questions about the project feel free to contact David Shumake who is the point person for the project. I hope some former students will contribute their comments on this site. Demolition is scheduled for January I think. If any former students that attended Fair Street is aware of any time capsules

• John Harris
        January 12, 2012 at 5:32 am

• eebutler
    March 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Jerry Lamar Castleberry Class of 1965

Well fellow TIGERS, one hundred seventy-three (173) days ago (September 14, 2011) I reported "the first brick has yet been knocked down or any visible sign of construction has begun. As of today, March 5, 2012, that is no longer the case. Demolition started today on what is estimated to be a six weeks time frame to demolish the school. I will periodically give updates on the progress of this wonderful project. To those living near the school that might encounter some minor inconveniences, the end result will be well worth it. This will be a must see site for the 2013 Fair Street-Butler High Reunion. It will not be finished by the time of the reunion but you will be able to see the transformation of the community.

• eebutler
      March 15, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Jerry Lamar Castleberry Class of 1965

And the walls continue to come tumbling down. First the old shop building was torn down. Can’t you hear Mr. Harrison, the Industrial Arts Teacher say "this building is now immaterial and irrelevant"?. The next section to face the wrecking ball was the back wing where Mr. Dinkins, Mr. Hill, Mr. Hunt, Mr. Fisher, Mr. Camp, and Mrs. Willis among others held class. This is the second week of a six weeks schedule for demolition. However, all is not rosy at the Tiger Compound. The big tree at the front of the building may not survive. Some time back the tree was struck by lightening, possibly more than once. The school system had an arborist to examine the tree and the pulse is weak. I think we all realize the tree has been in decline for some time. Even during the 2009 pep rally during the reunion there was some concern about the tree. If the tree can be save I think the school system will do everything possible within reason to save it. As I stated before, I will continue to give periodic updates of the project. I encourage everyone to join in sharing their memories of this grand old (and I mean old) building by posting on this site.

• John Harris